Below is my notes taken during barcamp, posting it right now as I could not live blog
I am here in barcamp bangalore and the first talk I am attending is that of Tara and she is talking about companies making money by being ethical. Previously companies used to make money by screwing consumers but that no longer is the case. Consumers have got sick of it now . (Change in consumer preferences)
Answer to such changes in consumer preference is a shift in marketing and go pinko marketing.
– The new order is influence is from amateurs rather than elite.
– The funnel is going downwards.
– Long tail is getting chunky.
We have a new marketing map. In old day you try to control the message. In the new world it is cluetrain and make it open source and let it go itn its own way. Examples is Alex's T Shirt – Barcamp Logo. Spread Firefox is another good example.
How to do pinko marketing ?
– Be a community advocate. Talk to community and get it back to the company.
– Go with the flow.Don't plan do it if you want to appease your CEO.
( Ah man ! Is'nt that fantastic )
– Predict the future.
– Reward your community. Give them incentives
– Stockholm Syndrome. Tick of all the engineers by brining the feedback from
– Be your own client. Meaning eat your own dog food. If you can't fall into
love with your own product how can you expect others to fall in love
Q by Prashanth – How does this go with Malcolm Gladwell's book where he says that initial user review gave feedback for a chair which was bad then it worked very well in the market.For Ex Can users say what they want in a flying car.
A 2323: Important to find people who are passionate about the products.
Pinko is a lot to do with small companies. Pinko is the word used to call communist sympathesizers. Marketing I am here talking about is not thinking about money.
Money is the answer of "because of" and is something that is not to be talked about when you are talking community.
Most Importantly if people are'nt in love . YOu can't go pinko.
Oh yeah !! Tara does not express in person her views as intense, extreme and crazy way as he does in her blog.:D 😀 She is very mellow when spoken to in person.